Leading up to DevOps Enterprise Summit 2018 Las Vegas, we’ll be releasing our newest DevOps resources to our community on a weekly basis.
Each of these resources come to you straight from the DevOps Enterprise Forum, where more than 50 technology leaders and thinkers gather for three days to create written guidance on the best-known methods for overcoming the top obstacles in the DevOps Enterprise community.
The move to integrated “DevOps” is producing a dramatic change in the way we develop and deploy software and IT systems.
However, as DevOps continues to challenge the status quo and improve business outcomes for software systems, many of the world’s larger enterprises still need to identify how to scale these practices across large, complex systems.
Unfortunately, there is an industry-wide misconception that this form of rapid iteration and improved flow applies only to software or small applications and systems.
In this week’s resource, (download here) we will provide an extended definition for DevOps as it applies to large, complex cyber-physical systems, and offer some guidance on how to effectively leverage continuous delivery and DevOps in these systems.
The eight recommendations elaborated upon in this resources are:
- Visualize and organize around the value stream.
- Apply multiple horizons of planning.
- Base decisions on objective evidence of system state and performance.
- Architect for scale, modularity, and serviceability.
- Iterate and reduce batch size.
- Establish cadence and synchronization.
- Employ “continu-ish integration.”
- Be test driven.
The authors on each of these resources will be prominent figures in the industry, and on this particular one, we have ten industry leaders working together. They include:
- Dr. Suzette Johnson, Agile Center of Excellence Lead, Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Diane LaFortune, Manager in Digital Technology, Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Dean Lengwell, Design Data and Product Integrity Engineering Manager, ScaledAgile Inc.
- Harry Koehnemann, SAFe Fellow and Principal Contributor, Scaled Agile Inc.
- Dr. Stephen Magill, Principal Scientist, Galois, Inc.
- Dr. Steve Mayner, SAFe Fellow and Principal Consultant, Scaled Agile Inc.
- Avigail Ofer, Sr. Director Communications and Digital Marketing at Platform9
- Anders Wallgren, CTO, Electric Cloud
- Robert Stroud, CPO, XebiaLabs
- Robin Yeman, SPACE Software Fellow at Lockheed, Lockheed Martin Corporation
Here is a great presentation from an author on this week’s resource.
Dr. Steve Mayner
If you’re eager to continue learning about these topics and more, see how you can be a part of DevOps Enterprise Summit 2018 Las Vegas. We spend three days talking with the leaders of large, complex organizations implementing DevOps principles and practices, with the goal to give leaders (like you) the tools and practices they need to develop and deploy software faster and to win in the marketplace.